Monday

G Unit, New blood and rocking it!

G Unit’s newest members, Havoc and prodigy, got a sweet set of twins courtesy of 50 cent.

Story matt barone /// Photography david yellen

Thus, the 13-year career of these Queensbridge legends has been far from RIDES on wax. “We’ve always rapped from the perspective of kids on the block,” reasons Albert “Prodigy” Johnson. “Niggas on the corner aren’t driving around in fancy cars. They’re doing dirt to get that.”

Leave it to empire-in-the-flesh 50 Cent to alter one’s modest mindset. Inducting Havoc and P into his G-Unit Familia in mid-2005, Fif (as the Mobb often refers to him) turned St. Nick, copping them twin silver Porsche Turbo S roadsters. “These cats move with major money, so it was nothing for Fif,” says Kejuan “Havoc” Muchita, who also owns a GT3 Porsche, a Range Rover and a G500. “For us, it was unbelievable. It just proved to us that this G-Unit move was destiny.” Mobb faithful, breathe easy. The newfound Guerillas promise that their upcoming seventh album—their first on G-Unit Records—Blood Money, will remain genuinely raw. Affirms Prodigy, “We just have more paper and power now to get [our music] heard.” Not to mention Fif and his eye-popping whip-gifts for the TRL crowd.

RIDES: It’s no secret that Boss Fif bought the Mobb matching Porsche Turbos as a G-Unit signing bonus. So, are you guys missing Jive Records yet?

Prodigy:
[laughs] People probably thought we’d feel sad about that Jive situation. Really, we were jumping for joy, and a day later, 50 called Havoc and told him that he wanted to sign us. Like a few weeks after that, Fif was like, “I got a surprise for y’all. I got you some Porsches.” Just as a bonus, non-recoupable. Just to welcome us into the family. He was like, “P, I want people to see the difference now.”

One big difference is the Porsches’ stick shift control. Were your skills already up to stick shift?

Prodigy: Well, neither one of us knew how to drive stick, so I had to learn that same day. My little cousin showed me how in this hooptie the day before I got the Porsche. It took me like a half hour, because I know how to ride motorcycles.
Havoc: The first day, it was hard, but by the third day, I had it down. I was learning in the Porsche, so people were like, “Why are you using that car? You’ll mess up the clutch.” I didn’t mess anything up, though.

Hav, where is your Turbo? Word on the street is that you experienced a fender-bender with the quickness.

Havoc: It was some real freak shit. I was in Queens, waiting for a light to change.
I was like five cars behind the light, and traffic was coming in back of us. There was this van directly in my lane, and I was looking in my rear-view. The van was speeding up, getting closer and closer. There was nowhere for me to merk off, so I was assed out. It crashed into my back doing like 30 mph.


To Read The Rest Of This Story, Get This Issue At Your Local Newsstand Now! To Receive 8 issues of RIDES for $8, Click Here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home